Monday, February 10, 2014

Old Dog, New Tricks

I am 32 years old and have just moved out of my mother's house for the first time. I like to think that I would have moved out sooner had my mother and father not been extremely ill. I was a caretaker for them for several years. This created a situation where I always had extra money. I never had to worry about buying all my own food, paying all my own bills, or completely taking care of myself. So, when I moved out this past year I have had A LOT of adjustments to make. I now pay rent, buy my own food, pay my own bills, and when and if I run out of money there is no one to fall back on.  This has created some close calls, but I am slowly learning how to pay off my bills, pay my current bills, budget, and save. I have yet to put it all together in one cohesive plan.
I am discovering several new things now that I have to watch what I am spending, buying and doing. I can no longer just buy things because I want them, think I need them, or it is what I have always bought.
Discovery #1-
I do not need to buy expensive name brand toilet paper.
Discovery #2-
I do not need to buy brand new books. I can go to the half price book store, and the library.
Discovery #3-
I thru way too much food away
Discovery #4-
There are many things in life that I thought were necessary for survival and everyday life, but they are not necessary to life, happiness, or even existence.
Discovery #5-
I paid WAY too much for my car insurance. I shopped around and am now getting both renter's insurance and car insurance for less than what I was paying for just the car insurance.
Discovery #6- ( I have yet to implement this one).
Buying clothes, food products, clothes, books and more is MUCH cheaper if I do it online. The only problem I have with this discovery is that I am horrible at waiting for things to come in the mail. If I have decided to buy something and spent the money on it I want to be able to use it now.
I am attempting to find ways to spend less, save more and still enjoy some of the things I love to do.
Do you have any hints for saving money on things like food shopping, bills, and more?

1 comment:

  1. Re: #5 - Where did you shop around for these? Who did you end up going with for both?
    Re: #6 - Where are you shopping? How are you dealing with the whole can't-try-it-on thing with clothes and shoes? That has always been a deterrent for me.

    ReplyDelete